It wasn’t until recently that I actually stopped to think
about where my home’s tap water comes from. Maybe for some people it has
crossed their mind, but not mine. All I knew was that I get a bill every month
from the Riverside Public Utilities that shows how much water we have used. Therefore,
I found this assignment in my environmental science class to be really
interesting. Where does my home’s tap water come from? After doing some research
I was able to figure out that Riverside’s water is actually ground water from
wells located in the Bunker Hill Basin and Riverside Basin. Interesting huh? However,
I found it kind of scary that I found this information on a Water Quality
Report from 2010 which explained about the possible contaminants in water
sources. This report included things such as viruses and bacteria from sewage,
salts and metals from runoffs, along with radioactive contaminants from oil and
gas production. On a good note though, there are regulations of course in order
to ensure that the tap water coming out of our faucets is safe, such as
limiting the amount of contaminants in waste provided by public water systems.
I also found out that water utilities treat nearly 34 billion gallons of water
every day to remove any kind of contaminants. I don’t know about you, but the idea of
possible contaminants in my drinking water is still creepy to think about.
Another fact I found really interesting, is that in the
United States, bottled water and tap water are regulated by two different federal
agencies. The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) regulates bottled water, while
the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) regulates are tap water. When it
comes down to ground water and drinking water the EPA has issued extensive
regulations on the production, distribution and quality of public drinking
water, including regulations on source water protection, operation of drinking
water systems, contaminants levels, and reporting requirements. Now, when it
comes to bottles water I noticed that under our statutory authority, the FDA
regulates bottled water as a food. It requires that manufacturers must be
responsible for producing safe, wholesome, and truthfully labeled food
products, which also includes bottled water. The FDA has also established
specific regulations which include standard of identity regulations, standard
of quality regulations, and current good manufacturing practice regulations. At
the end of the day regulations on our tap water is a lot stricter and enforceable.
It has been noticed by many that bottled water has become a
popular beverage. According to the Beverage Marketing Corporation, the amount
of bottled water consumed in the United States has doubled over the past 10 years.
However, there are actually many concerns and drawbacks when it comes to the safety
of bottled water, and has actually been labeled as expensive and wasteful.
Plus, when you narrow down the facts, it may not be as safe as you think. Actually,
the EWG (Environmental Working Group) found a total of 38 contaminants in the
water of 10 popular brands. If consumed over a long period of time, some of
these contaminants were said to cause cancer or other health problems. Moving on to our environment, I can’t even
stress how hurtful and hazardous water bottles can be. Most of the time bottled
water is shipped from far away, even though most of them end up close to home
in a landfill, creating thousands of tons of global warming pollution and other
air pollution. I feel that the best way to reach a long term solution with this
tap vs. bottled water idea is just to make tap water safer for everyone.
I love bottled water. This is so sad. I am curious. Do you spend more water during the summer monthes? I totally forgot about the water bill when I was doing my research. I know my family sadly wastes more during the summer. We drink it, take more showers, and make water balloons etc.
ReplyDeleteIt was pretty crazy reading all the things that could be in our water and how it is cleaned, but it's nice to know that the EPA does its best to give us good clean and healthy water.
ReplyDelete