I never knew how much I took advantage of things until this
next assignment in my environmental science came about. Trying to live a normal, everyday life by using the minimal amount of energy was a lot harder then I
thought it would be. In fact, I remember thinking to myself “what the hell am I
going to do for the next 24 hours.” So I began by unplugging as many things as
possible. This consisted of things like my alarm clock, cell phone charger, house
phone, computer, televisions, washer, and dryer. From there I also turned off all
of the lights and my cell phone. Then I made a promise not to drive anywhere,
do any laundry, use my ac or heater, or use my electric hairstyling utensil that
morning when I got ready. I could tell you that taking a cold shower without
the lights on wasn’t much fun either. This was the moment it sank it too. If I
wasn’t going to be miserable and bored all day long then I needed to find
something to keep me entertained. Therefore, I spent the majority of the day
playing outside with my three dogs. Then that night my husband and I had a bon fire in
our backyard with some friends. Overall, my goal was to really use as little of
energy and electricity as possible to see what it was like not to have these
things. To be honest, I think my friends were getting a kick out of trying to
cope with my project. So it wasn’t too bad. Don’t get me wrong though. I didn’t
find it very easy, and I wasn’t 100% happy with how I had to change the way I
did things, but I did like the fact that it forced me to spend more quality time
with my family and friends. Plus, it was kind of neat hanging out in the dark
with the only the light of our bon fire. Although trying to get to bed that
night was somewhat of a challenge. Candles only provide so much light while you
are trying to brush your teeth, wash your face, and find your pajamas.
When it came to turning off the television and computer, I
wasn’t very bothered since I don’t spend much time with these things anyways.
What I did have a hard time with though was not being able to drive anywhere. I
took a walk with my dogs up to a nearby park and this really made me realize
how far a lot of things would seem if I didn’t have the use of my car. I also
didn’t like the fact that I couldn’t use my hair utensils. Being completely
honest, I felt like I was a mess all day long. But this is also because I am
not use to living under such conditions. This all helped remind me of how thankful I am to
be living in the time era that I do.
I totally agree with you on the candles, I've done it and its really frustrating-I almost always end up getting at least slightly burnt.
ReplyDeletespending the day with your dogs was a good idea to keep busy.
I agree with you: finding stuff with candles at night is not fun. But I'm happy you felt like you learned something, and I think physically spending time with people is a big plus. By the way, you're a lot better on the whole unplugging stuff and turning out the lights than I am. If you wanna see how much I usually have plugged in all day everyday, there's a pic on my blog.
ReplyDelete~Sam
yes everything does seem so much farther when walking. the store that seems to be right down the street when driving turned out to be a little over a mile away walking -_- ahah :)
ReplyDelete