Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Toxic Chemicals


After reading the article “Regulating toxic chemicals: Do we know enough about chemical risks?” it is really scary to think about how often we are unknowingly exposed to possible toxic chemicals each and every day. Honestly at this point I think it is safe to say that they are everywhere; from the stuff we eat, drink, breathe, use, buy, etc. This is all the more reason why I feel so frustrated when I read that some people are concerned that “the agencies responsible for protecting Americans from exposure to harmful chemicals are allowing too many dangerous substances into the market without testing them for toxicity.” Why is this okay? If there is any doubt that a product is not 100% safe for their consumers, then I feel it should be tested with no questions asked. How dare them to let common products slip by and into the market before having a premarket safety screening, especially when these products concern infants and young children. Therefore, chemical manufacturers should be continually forced to address new concerns for the fullest safety of their consumers.

I really liked the idea of the REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals) policy, which was launched in the European Union in 2007. Under these rules, a company that produces or imports chemicals must register and provide data on their properties and uses. Bottom line, the chemicals must be proven to be safe. However, here in the US we still await Congress, regulators, businesses and advocates to come up with better solutions to protect consumers from harmful exposures. This is where the big questions come in. Do we know enough about chemical risks, are we commercializing nanotechnologies too quickly, and would stricter regulations hurt manufacturers and consumer?  In the end, research is ongoing and new things are always to be discovered which is why chemical toxins should always be a concern. Studies should never stop and regulations should always be enforced! This would include moving into a more precautionary approach like Europe. Consumers have a right to know and trust that everything possible is being done for their health and safety.

Below are some related sites with great information to get you thinking more about this topic. They offer some really great information, input, and advice!!

Chemical Regulations:
http://www.gao.gov/assets/100/93860.pdf

Precautionary Approach:
http://www.sehn.org/precaution.html
http://www.commonweal.org/programs/precautionary-principle.html

Green Chemistry:
http://www.epa.gov/greenchemistry/
http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/pollutionprevention/greenchemistryinitiative/index.cfm

The article “Regulating toxic chemicals: Do we know enough about chemical risks?”:
http://faculty.rcc.edu/huff/spring%202012/enviromental%20science/blog%20assignments/Regulating_Toxic_Chemicals.pdf

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you Casey - it's NOT Ok for a company to compromise MY health for the sake of making a buck! Why is ANY amount of a toxic substance acceptable in our food and water supplies...it just seems odd to me.
    Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it is crazy that these chemicals are everywhere. I was scaring some of my coworkers today when I was telling them about some of the stuff in this article. Some said they are just going to stop shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with you ladies, it's crazy that the government is allowing these companies to act with virtually no regulations!

    ReplyDelete